Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Help-a-Honu Jewelry Launch

For awhile now I've been wanting to create jewelry in the shape of sea turtles, or Honu as they are called in Hawai'i. I adore the creatures and am so saddened by the troubles they (and other ocean animals) face.

This new line features hand cut sea turtles in sterling and copper and eventually brass as well. Right now in my shop I have a large copper pendant and sterling silver earrings, but I plan to expand that greatly as soon as the weather cooperates and I can work outside. Then the variations will be endless - turtles with beads, turtles with patterns and designs, turtles, turtles, turtles. They can also be stamped with letters, either for initials, names, words, etc. A very versatile line of jewelry.

The best part of this whole line is that I'm donating 10% of the purchase price of each item to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon, FL. They do wonderful things; taking care of sick sea turtles, rehabilitating and returning them to the wild when they can and giving them a home when the turtles are just too sick to live in wild. They also provide outreach and education programs and work with legislative bodies to protect sea turtles, all species of which are endangered. I visited the hospital on my way home from Key West a few weeks ago and they really provide a wonderful service to humans and turtles alike.

2 comments:

  1. I love these!! And for such a great cause : ) I'm actually getting a turtle tattoo soon~*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope your tattoo comes out well!

    ReplyDelete