Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Evolution

I thought I'd make my second post to this shiny new blog about my evolution as a jewelry maker and Etsian. I started making jewelry when I was 8 or 9, with giant plastic beads bought for a dollar a bag and a needle and thread. The knots were often visible and my lack of clasps meant everything had to be long enough to fit over one's head. The patterns were simple; alternating colors, or if I was feeling really creative, two of one color, followed by one of another color. Repeat until head clearing length is reached.

Several years ago, when I was still employed, I started making jewelry again, and I even sold a few pieces to my co-workers. They really liked them, and I enjoyed making them, but then we sold our house, bought a van and became vagabonds. There was no longer any room for my crafting shenanigans.

Present day. For whatever reason, I had this great idea that I could braid embroidery floss and string beads on it. A new love for design was born. But this time, my interest didn't fade. It seems that every day I think of some fun new technique, or I learn of something I'd never heard of. Now I'm not just beading. I'm buying silver and twisting it. I've contemplated hammering things. I've wished I had room for a kiln, I've puttered with pottery and I've even looked into resin molds. I can't go very long at another task before I mutter "I wonder..." and start maniacally putting things together. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's always fun.

Now, I have no photos of my really early slip on jewelry, but I do have some photos of my early jewelry from my present day obsession. I warn you; it ain't pretty.

See, I warned you. It somehow manages to look sad and dumpy and trashy at the same time. And the photography is less than stellar. I use my husband's awesome Nikon with macro lenses, but since I refused to listen to him about apertures and F-stops, the camera could not compensate for my badness. Note also the "mannequin." It's a jug of non-dairy creamer with a sarong thrown over it. Professional, I know. This particular piece I could never bring myself to list, though there are several pieces of jewelry on Etsy that are photographed on my makeshift model.

After struggle with a light box made from pieces of poster board, I just decided to use outdoor light for my photographs. It may be a rationalization, but it occurred to me one day while I was getting some great shots that very few people spend their entire day in a light box anyway, and isn't it nice to show them jewelry the way it will actually look? I think so, which is why I do it that way.

Okay, I'm tired of thinking about me. Anyone else have any stories of their own (hopefully continuing) evolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment